Thursday, June 2, 2016

Chanda's Secrets a Must Read


HIV/AIDS are consuming the continent of Africa! In the gripping suspense-filled thriller Chanda’s secret, a sixteen year old is forced to battle with the virus as it continues to force its way into her life. I recommend this book as a must read to my fellow young adult readers. Chanda’s Secrets was awarded the Michael L. Printz Honor Book for Excellence in YA Literature, ALA along with many other awards.



By: Samaya Edwards


AIDS is running wild in Africa and Chanda’s family is hiding something…

Chanda’s Secrets is a suspense-filled book that focuses on the hardships of a teenage girl who lives amid the HIV/AIDS pandemic of Africa. The thrilling book takes you on a roller coaster of emotions as the story progresses. It reveals problems that are unknown to our society as it takes place across the Atlantic ocean, on a different continent. This book gives you a little insight to what life is like for a teenage girl living in poverty.


Chanda’s Secrets focuses on the life of sixteen year old teenager, Chanda. Chanda is an intelligent hardworking student and a good person. She wants to make life better for herself and her family. She lives in a single parent home with her mother Lillian, and two siblings Iris and Soly. The story tells of the struggles that Chanda faces. Throughout the book Chanda faces the recurring issues of death, shame, and secrets. However, the biggest problem Chanda is forced to tackle is HIV and AIDS. With the huge outbreak of the disease the fatality rate is running rampant. Surrounded by death, Chanda is forced to face the inevitable as she has to overcome the obstacles the virus brings.


As I read Chanda's secrets I couldn’t put the book down.The story was filled with many twists and turns. It also revealed many secrets throughout the book which is intriguing to the reader. For me personally, I was able to really connect with the main character Chanda. I saw myself in her which made the book that much more interesting. I must say the emotional connection I felt was very real. I was touched by this book as the resolution almost brought me to tears.



No comments:

Post a Comment